NOTE ...And I offer a whole list of personally created "Therapies" to help you.

Roller Coaster of Life

Roller Coaster of Life
Life's Ups and Downs
.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Try harder

Do we play tug of war with ourself?


The other day I talked to a friend who also struggles with depression. Her depression is a little different and more difficult than mine; she takes depression meds, also, but I don’t.

I guess the medication helps her deal and function with the illness. She is able to accomplish most of the things that she desires, and talks herself through unpleasant and uncomfortable moments.

Though my depression mainly brings me down in the winter (I have SAD…Seasonal Affective Disorder), I still have brief sad moments throughout the rest of the year and I have a lot of trouble feeling motivated to do anything. I had made the decision many years ago that I did not want to be on meds.

When my friend said that she talks herself through uncomfortable situations, a light came on for me. I wondered if I give in too easy with the “avoid it” solution. I must try harder to talk myself through MY uncomfortable situations….and not be so quick to take the easy way out, which is to not do it at all. I know that growth comes when we can overcome a difficulty.